Feeling a bit house bound these days? Cross country skiing or snow shoeing is a great way to get outdoors, safely distance yourselves from everyone and enjoy the beauty that Colorado delivers daily. We recognize that you might not want to just jump all in before working a few of those muscles that are going to get worked when you are on the trails. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with some the best strength exercises to prepare your body for success!
- Triceps Pull Downs: This exercise mimics that of the polling motion of skiing, great for building strength for the push phase. We recommend doing a circuit of 10 repetitions for three sets. Watch this YouTube video to see exactly how to do this exercise! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiuVA0gs3EI
- Planks: We know that planks are no one’s favorite, but this is the best way to strengthen your core and back muscles that will help keep you stable while skiing. Hold the position for 30 seconds and then rest for 30 seconds; do this eight times. Here is a YouTube tutorial of how to do a plank for those of you lucky enough to have never had to do one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B296mZDhrP4
- Deadlifts: This exercise is great for cross county skiers because it strengthens the quads and glutes, both of which help to push the body forward while in the push phase of skiing. Do this exercise 8-10 times for three sets. Here is a YouTube video to show you exactly how to do this exercise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op9kVnSso6Q
- Lunges: This exercise will help you to focus on your balance, which is a necessary skill in skiing. While it is less about strength training, it is one of the best transferable strength gains to sport gains. Complete a set of 10-12 repetitions three times. Here is a video tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8fvypPrzzs
- Side Squat: This is a very sport specific motion that is great for the explosive push-off power. It, again, targets the quads and glutes. Do this exercise 10 times on each side for three sets. Here is a tutorial to show you how to do this exercise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0dFeb1v4xw
This is by no means a comprehensive list of the exercises you can do to strengthen your body for cross country skiing or snow shoeing, but we hope this provides you with a starting point. Contact your physician before starting any new workout and use caution while executing these moves.